R40 Additional USB-sockets

Share your modification plans and experience!
panterlo

R40 Additional USB-sockets

Post by panterlo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:06 am

Hi all,

I have been doing a few modifications on the R40 and there is a quite easy way to add additional USB-outlets/sockets to the helmet panel if you are interested. There is a USB-outlet/socket behind the captain seating but it's not very convenient to use if you for example want an smartphone and/or tablet working along with the navigation screens.

I bought a socket mounted USB-outlet/socket from Bluesea https://www.bluesea.com/products/1045/1 ... cket_Mount and drilled a hole in the helmet panel (first I opened it to check there are no cables in the way). I then wired 2.5 mm2 wires from the helmet through the backside of the cabinet in the master cabin (starboard) which then loops back to the room under the seating.

There is a 20A fused cigarette lighter connector where the USB-sockets are right to the captain seat and it's easy to steal power from this without making any cut to cables. I simply added a splitter and separately fused 5A to the new USB-outlet.
Image from iOS (38).jpg
Image from iOS (37).jpg
Image from iOS (36).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rpontual
Site Admin

Re: R40 Additional USB-sockets

Post by rpontual » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:59 pm

Your R40 must have a new helm-station, mine has two screens as well but they are mounted on different panels. The new solution (yours) seems much better as I can barely see the second screen when seated.

I need help figuring out how to bring a wire from the helm station to the room under the seating -->> "I then wired 2.5 mm2 wires from the helmet through the backside of the cabinet in the master cabin (starboard) which then loops back to the room under the seating." Please explain a bit better.