R40 - Water in engine room!

Share your modification plans and experience!
3Buoys

R40 - Water in engine room!

Post by 3Buoys » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Don't know if this is unique to my boat (2019 R40 Coupe) but I thought I would post this in case it could happen to other owners.

As you can see from the pictures attached water has got into the top of the engine room, completely soaked the sound insulation had collected in the bilge - (I then found out the bilge pumps weren't working but that's another story!)

The culprit is the draining hole from the cockpit into the storage under the rear seat - for some reason Bavaria put the draining hole directly above a hole for the water pipes for the BBQ which leads directly into the top of the engine room.

Why did they do this????

Anyway, I have now tapped up the hole carrying the BBQ pipes so no water can get in - problem solved easily but very annoying such a simple thing can be overlooked.

Rant over :)

ARPE

Re: R40 - Water in engine room!

Post by ARPE » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:10 am

My R40 also has the BBQ option, I am going to verify how the pipes are installed. Please post your pictures, for some reason they were not attached.
2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, D6-370
2015 Regal 35 Sport Coupe, D3-220 - Sold

3Buoys

Post by 3Buoys » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi

Added the photos again but there is an error message saying board quota has been reached.

If you still need let me know your email address and I can send them to you.

Best
3Buoys

ARPE

Post by ARPE » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:22 pm

I will verify the installation to figure this out.
2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, D6-370
2015 Regal 35 Sport Coupe, D3-220 - Sold

panterlo

Post by panterlo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:40 am

On the same topic on water leakage.

I also suggest checking the roof. I had a major leak into the hollow space under the antennas that eventually lead excessive amount of water collected at the front of the roof and it started to drop in the sealant above the throttle. I used an endscope camera through the LED-holes above the stairs in the roof and found over 10 liters of water. I removed all antennas on the roof and found that neither was the radar antenna or the TV or internet antenna properly sealed.

I also had the BBQ option and this year I had to remove it and I noticed large amount of water being collected in the steel structure that holds the BBQ. Apparentley there are no draining under the BBQ and water may easily enter through the plastic service room behind the BBQ when the water slides off the cover above. The solution was to drill a few holes under the BBQ to allow any water that enters the service plastic plates to get out. I also sealed the top of the service plates. There is no point of sealing the water and drainage hole in the storage since that will never be able to get tight (just to big of a hole).

I can't post images since I also exceeded the quota but let me know and I will e-mail them.